Following the recent Special General Meeting of BGANZ members on 28 April 2022, BGANZ Council can announce that BGANZ will transition from BGANZ Inc to BGANZ Ltd on 1 July 2022. This change will bring the introduction of a Board of up to nine Board Directors providing overall governance, financial management, fundraising, partnership development and strategic planning, with existing regional and professional groups continuing as the member Committee.
The governance changes are designed to set BGANZ up for future growth so that we can more successfully achieve our strategic objectives and service members to a higher level. Importantly, the Board structure allows for external skills-based appointments while retaining at least 50% composition made up of BGANZ members. This composition is designed to bridge gaps in expertise experienced under the current structure while retaining the key focus on our members as a network organisation.
Details of the Board and Member Committee structure as well as the new constitution have been circulated to members in the lead-up to the SGM. You can read the new constitution here and view the new structure here.
Seven of the (up to) nine Board member positions are currently filled, with Dr Lucy Sutherland, former Director of Botanic Gardens South Australia, and long-time member of BGANZ, becoming the inaugural BGANZ Board Chair. All the initial Board Members are listed below:
1. Dr Lucy Sutherland, Initial Board Chair, former Director Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium South Australia
2. Chris Russell, Current BGANZ President, Exec Director RBG Cranbourne
3. Wolfgang Bopp, Current BGANZ Vice-President, Director of Botanic Gardens and Garden Parks Christchurch City Council
4. Dr Leonie Scriven, Current BGANZ Council member, Dep Director Collections Botanic Gardens and State Herbarium South Australia
5. Peter Byron, Former BGANZ Council member, General Manager Australian National Botanic Gardens
6. Rohan Butler, Former Seasol International General Manager, marketing, business development, retail
7. Kate Russell, Programmes and Partnership Manager Christchurch City Council
8. To be confirmed
9. To be confirmed.